Monday 16 February 2015

Mapping the City - Exhibition Review

Mapping the city - alternative cartographic representations by artists of their cities. - Somerst House

Barcelona, 2013, Sixe Paredes

I knew I had to see this exhibition as my drawing often gets described as looking 'map like'. It's the relationship with a location, reliance on symbols and scale that interests me. Also the idea of mapping something 'unmappable'.

Alessandria by day, 2014, 108

The exhibition, featuring 50 different artists, showed a wide variety of interpretations. Some spoke to me, others didn't. The similarities struck with street art and graffetti was most likely the cause of this, it's easy to deem something garish. However it's this youthful edge and approach which re-ignited my interest in cartography, just from even seeing the poster for the show.

Interburden, 2014, Boris Tellegen

The few pictured here were some of my favourites (also circled the name Chu, Buenos Aires Caos and Shantell Martin's bicycle accidents series - for personal future reference.) I feel there is a simplicity to their abstraction. No use of words, obvious landmarks or even architecture. Yet each hold much information and are beautiful things to look at.

Beautiful and Interesting. The perfect nothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment