Wednesday 25 February 2015

Loud Poets - Spoken word night

"People don't have beginnings and ends"

We are not stories. We are narrators.

When the Party Poppers come out...

In the same way live music and live comedy just can't be compared to packaged stuff, live spoken work is an amazing thing to experience. There is an electric energy to the air, which explodes and flickers, changing with the velocitiy of the words being spoken.

Loud poets (who were celebrating their birthday this night) are apparently one of the best of their kind around (from someone I met in the crowd.) I wouldn't be surprised, each speaker was really good, with a range of ages and styles. Some were crazy, some hilarious, some dramatic. What they all shared was the ability to capture the audience and make them think. 

As opposed to a book or a film, the beauty of spoken word is that it can get straight to the point. Fact or fiction. Story or song. This medium celebrates the beauty of language, spoken and performed. Atmospheres are created through emotion, movement and music. It's seriously entertaining, though in quite a hard-hitting way, leaving an impression even with quite minimal engagement. Relax, listen and think. 

I definitely want to visit more, and I was recommended Spoken in London, and I've seen some pop up around Nottingham briefly, so I'll keep look out. I'd love to try it, but even if I don't manage that the thought of incorporating elements into video work is exciting. All I know for sure is that this is an art and a craft (and form of design?) that I'm a big fan of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment