Tuesday 1 December 2015

Organic vs Manufactured - Geometric Patchwork Prints

Here is me just learning what I like and don't like through comparison. See these two examples of a similar 'collage-effect' geometric patchwork prints

Graphic Triangles 16 x 20 art print by shopampersand on Etsy

Kitty McCall Print

I much prefer the second one to the first, maybe it's partly to do with the colours, but I like the slightly disordered natural looseness of it more than the rigid precision of the top, The colours in both are still very full and bright. There are slight additions of white, and not much texture used other than of stripes, I suppose they would be too busy with more 

However; this throws a spanner into the works
Kitty McCall Print - Ankara

Again, I love the colours, however the lines and shapes are far more precise than the other McCall print I like. The shapes' refined nature now mimics the first print which I didn't like so much, and now I think this is my favourite! How confusing. However, it is easy to see that the McCall prints are completely a-symmetrical, presenting unexpected compositions. I believe this is what I connect with in a print design; these could be abstract drawings of real places or things, whether the first is clearly just a pattern. I should keep exploring A-symmetry in my print and construction work, as well as continuing to push colour balanced with white and carefully considering where to apply texture. 

I believe these prints are digitally designed, which would be easy for me to play with! Also collage would continue to work equally well. Painting would most likely give me a slightly more organic edge, but this would be nice in the medium. With print, patchwork, digital, drawing and painting to play with, I'm feeling very excited! 


No comments:

Post a Comment