Friday 5 September 2014

Mixing Material Projects - Initial thoughts

I received the brief for my next project yesterday, which was greatly exciting as I have been rearing to go back to uni and get back into the workshops. Ideas have been sparking all about in my head since (to add to all the jumble of semi-ideas that have been forming in my head all Summer.) 

There's no better time to start putting some down onto e-paper! (As compared to a scrap of paper I would normally lose, on here I know I won't be able to misplace it.)

At this point now, I know I'm working with two main materials, and the idea is to use them effectively and originally in unison. I selected Textiles and Metal, though was also strongly drawn to print, wood and resin & plastics. 

There's nothing to stop us using more than these two materials in our project, though at my uni it is famously hard to get into a workshop where you haven't had the chance to butter the technician up, so to speak.

Inspirations/ Initial thoughts list (in no particular order or structure)

- Working with food! Kitchen design/ utensil design 
- be able to bring cooking/ recipes into it
- How do people use kitchens? Appropriating spaces/ surfaces
- Relationships people have with mealtimes/ associations
- Recycling/ Sustainability! 
- Bits of metal in kitchen - Can lids/ cans/ screw tops/ biscuit barrel etc.
- Bit of textile in kitchen - cloths/ paper/ oven clothes/ recipe books/ aprons
- Weaving! (using NYC sketchbook drawings)
- Spain drawings/ development
- Writing/ video work
- Make video for pieces 
- RCA/ degree show pieces
- Jewellery
- Wearable kitchen utensils
- Tools, e.g. cutlery
- Textile = cute and kitch. Metal = hard and structural
- Products combining both; clothes with metal fastenings, bags

So, next steps include making a Pinterest Board of secondary research, as well as collecting and sorting my primary research (anything I've done over Summer) to make clear and presentable. (And blag that I knew what I was doing all along... #thingsyoulearnatartschool)

Watch this space!


No comments:

Post a Comment