Friday 5 September 2014

Hackney Pearl - Restaurant Review - Small cosy local with a strong vibe


Having peered through the large windowed frontage of the Pearl 'like, a gazillion times' over the Summer (being on my walking route between my beau's, the studio of my internship and the station), I'd always looked on enviably to the chilled crowd inside. Despite loving all the reasons I'm walking past, the friendly sense-of-community vibe it radiates is magnetising.  

(The Hackney Wick definition of a local is somewhere that serves proper coffee, brunch and cocktails.)

As I'd never stopped by (for anything more than a solitary glass of wine) I was keen to grab a dinner there before the Summer was through. Though being understandably empty on a rainy Monday night, it still has a great cosy quality to it, making it a nice place to have round the corner. Another benefit is its mid-week set price menu, which along with the daily menu changes regularly.

I've become a fan of weekly-changing menus featuring a select but well chosen range of dishes. You can tell the chef has fun deciding the menu and can make the most of what's in season. 

With a locally brewed beer and a wine to keep the bf happy (which is no mean feat.) We tucked into a delicious homely dinner of Roast chicken thighs and tomatos with pearl barley and a butter bean, pea and spinach ragu with goat's curd. The chicken was perfectly cooked and with a light seasoning, and the creamy ragu was a nice richness, with the curd adding a slight tang to the sauce. 

The food came in surprisingly large portions, and we were stuffed, having had some warm bread to nibble on with our drinks. (That gorgeous corn-bread style stuff with crunchy sea-salt on top!) Luckily I still had room for dessert though (would have been a shame to make the most of the set menu...) 

A delicious fruity frangipani tart with ice cream rounded the meal of perfectly, though wish I could say the same for the rounding of my tummy afterwards. I reckon dropping by here for a coffee and a cake or a beer and some bar snacks more often would not go amiss. 

Dinner was great, and I'd say with the set price menu it's good value for a little place down the road. Even for those visiting from further afield, it is impossible not to feel welcomed by it's homely charms. Open for food everyday until 10PM, and later for drinks, I definitely reckon I'll find myself cosy-ing up in it's snug warmness more often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment